top of page

#326 Cleese's Wooly Lemur

Critically Endangered

These are also known as the Bemaraha Wooly Lemur. They were named after John Cleese because of how much he loves and has done work to help lemurs. I know I've said it before, but how amazing would it be to have an animal named after you?! These are from one small area in Madagascar, and their biggest threat is habitat loss. Their population numbers have gone down by around 80%, and it is expected to get worse unfortunately. Captive breeding programs do not seem feasible because apparently the whole genus are not able to be kept in captivity long. They were only discovered in 1990, but weren't declared a species until 2005. They weigh up to 13 pounds. Because they eat mostly leaves they take lots of naps to aid in digestion.

I gave blood yesterday. It was the first time since 1991 that I was able to. I have been severely anemic my whole life pretty much. I had surgery a little over a year ago to try and help with that. Back in 1991 I was in university. I tried to give blood, and the first time they tested to see if I was anemic enough I failed. They tried a more sensitive test, and I barely passed. Honestly I believe I probably did not pass, and I still worry about whoever got my blood back then. The place I gave the blood was across the central area of the university, the quad. I gave the blood, ate my cookies and drank some juice, then tried to stand up. I must have looked extremely pale and wobbly because before I could say anything the lady near me snapped her fingers and 2 big burly college guys grabbed me and put me on a bed and I had to stay there for another 10 minutes. I eventually was able to stand, but on my way back to the dorm I had to stop and rest in the quad for a bit. Then, I got to the dorm and waited a little bit before starting up the stairs to the second floor where my room was. I then managed to get about halfway up the stairs but had to sit down and rest again. When I made it to my room finally I had to sleep. Really, it took me about a week to get to where I was starting to feel back to my normal. Now my normal was not great back then, I had a lot of PVCs (Premature Ventricular Contractions) and they always got worse when I was extra anemic. I was malnourished and couldn't afford food, which did not help. This time though, only needed one of the tests, which I passed. Then, I sat there for maybe a minute before I was fine to walk. I waited until I had finished yesterday's painting before I went out and did the shopping for our groceries, but I was fine. I'm so happy I can finally contribute now, it has been a long time that I was unable to, and I've always wished I could help out. My dad is the universal donor and before his health tanked he would donate whenever he could.

4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page